Best evergreen ghazals and songs from Jagjit Singh
Selecting the best songs or ghazals sung by Jagjit Singh is like trying to pick the best mango from a tree full of ripe mangoes. Never tried a mango or Jagjit singh? Well, then you are missing out on something special. Just like mango is considered the king of the all fruits, Jagjit Singh is the king of the ghazals.
Okay, enough about the mangoes, or the kings. Here is some of the ultimate ghazals by the… ummm.. king himself. Many of his famous ghazals often show up in the Bollywood movies, and for the right reasons.
1. Yeh daulat bhi le lo (Jazbah): Want to walk down the memory lane of childhood days? This ghzal summarize it well. The wording and melody is simply irreplaceable. “Woh Kaghaz Ki Kashti, Woh Baarish Ka Paani..”
2. Hothon se choo lo tum (Movie: Prem Geet): A beautiful poetic wording throughout… “Tum Haar Ke Dil Apna, Meri Jeet Amar Kardo”. This is a very soothing and very enticing ghazal at the same time, depending on how you take it!
3. Koi ye kaise bataye (Movie: Arth): This is another masterpiece from the king. The philosophical wording and laid-back style of music make this song very unique and haunting.
4. Tum ko dekha to yeh khayal aaya (Movie: Sath Sath): “aaj phir dil ne ek tammanna ki, aaj phir dil ko hamne samzaya,zindagi dhup tum ghana saya.” This is another soulful ghazal that has natural flow, a beautiful imagination and very expressive throughout.
5. Apni Aankhon Ke Samundar Mein Utar Jane De (Beyond Time): “…tera MUJRIM hon mujhe doob ke marjane de..” This is very well composed and equally well sung ghazal from Beyond Time album. The natural music flow, soulful wording and the seamless wording make this number a timeless masterpiece. Continue reading