The best Bollywood Hindi films of 2013
The tastes vary, the choices differ. When it comes to the Bollywood films, some like them spicy and action packed thrillers while others prefer sweet and romantic dramas. Some like suspense while others prefer plain old romance. The films below are some of the best standout Bollywood features from 2013.
1. Bhaag Milkha Bhaag: This is a sports drama film produced and directed by Rakeysh Omprakash Mehra; the script is written by Prasoon Joshi, based on the life of Milkha Singh – an Indian national champion runner and an Olympian. The movie stars Farhan Akhtar, Sonam Kapoor, Divya Dutta, Pavan Malhotra, Yograj Singh, Meesha Shafi and Prakash Raj. 2014 Filmfare Awards recognized this movie with multiple awards including the Best Movie, Best Director, along with Farhan Akhtar receiving the best actor award.
2. Chennai Express: This is a romantic action comedy film directed by Rohit Shetty and produced by Gauri Khan under the film production company Red Chillies Entertainment. The film features Shahrukh Khan and Deepika Padukone in lead roles, along with Sathyaraj, Nikitin Dheer and Kamini Kaushal. The movie is about a man’s journey from Mumbai to Rameshwaram and what happens along the way after he falls in love with the daughter of a local don. The melodious music is composed by the duo Vishal-Shekhar; the lyrics come from Amitabh Bhattacharya and Yo Yo Honey Singh.
3. Yeh Jawaani Hai Deewani: This is a coming-of-age romantic comedy, directed by Ayan Mukerji and produced by Karan Johar. The film stars Ranbir Kapoor and Deepika Padukone in lead roles – the duo know for their on-screen chemistry. The cast includes Aditya Roy Kapur, Kalki Koechlin and Kunaal Roy Kapur. Madhuri Dixit appears in an item number titled “Ghagra”. The soundtrack score is composed by Pritam, with lyrics from Amitabh Bhattacharya and Kumaar. The popular songs include ‘Dilli Wali Girlfriend’ and ‘Badtameez Dil’.
4. The Lunchbox: This artistic film is a romantic drama written and directed by Ritesh Batra. It stars Irrfan Khan, Nimrat Kaur and Nawazuddin Siddiqui in the lead roles. This unexpectedly refreshing and slow-developing love-story has a touch of loneliness, highlighting complicated human relations. The story is simple and supported by brilliant acting. The film was screened at International Critics’ Week at the 2013 Cannes Film Festival, and later won the Critics Week Viewers Choice Award also known as Grand Rail d’Or. It was shown at the 2013 Toronto International Film Festival as well.
5. Kai Po Che!: This is a drama film directed by Abhishek Kapoor based on Chetan Bhagat’s novel ‘The 3 Mistakes of My Life’. Sushant Singh Rajput, Rajkummar Rao, Amit Sadh and Amrita Puri star as the lead cast. The film title Kai Po Che! comes from a Gujarati phrase that means “I have cut the kite”, used during kite flying competition. Set in early 2000 time-frame in India, the three friends set out to open a training academy to produce the country’s next cricket stars. Along the way, they The film tests their friendship through the veil of innocence tarnished by religious politics and communal hatred.
6. Dhoom 3: This blockbuster is an action thriller, written and directed by Vijay Krishna Acharya and produced by Aditya Chopra. The third installment of the Dhoom series, it features Aamir Khan, Katrina Kaif, Abhishek Bachchan and Uday Chopra in the lead roles.This high budget flick is the first Bollywood movie to be released in the IMAX motion picture film format with Dolby Atmos surround sound. The film broke several records on its opening days in India and abroad; Dhoom 3 is the highest-grossing Bollywood film of all time domestically and worldwide.
7. Krrish 3: This is a superhero science fiction from Bollywood. The film is produced and directed by Rakesh Roshan. It is the third film in the Krrish series following Koi… Mil Gaya (2003) and Krrish (2006). The film stars Hrithik Roshan, Vivek Oberoi, Priyanka Chopra, and Kangna Ranaut as the main cast. The story follows the life of Rohit Mehra, a scientist, and Krishna “Krrish” Mehra, his superhero son, who face an elaborate conspiracy orchestrated by the evil genius Kaal and his female henchman Kaya. In the process, Krishna’s pregnant wife Priya is kidnapped by Kaal and the form-changing Kaya takes her place… Follow the action and suspense with twists and turns – the Bollywood style!
8. Lootera: This is romantic drama film directed by Vikramaditya Motwane and roughly based on author O. Henry’s 1907 short story ‘The Last Leaf’. It is the second film directed by Motwane after his critically acclaimed film Udaan. The movie stars Ranveer Singh and Sonakshi Sinha in lead roles. Set in the era of 1950s, it has musical similarities to ‘1942 – A Love Story’. The story is set in the era of 1950s. The soulful and melodious music is composed by Amit Trivedi with song lyrics from Amitabh Bhattacharya.
9. Goliyon Ki Raasleela Ram-Leela: This is a romantic-drama film directed and produced by Sanjay Leela Bhansali. It stars Ranveer Singh and Deepika Padukone in the lead. The film is an adaptation of Shakespeare’s Romeo and Juliet. The film was initially titled Ram-Leela but was changed to Goliyon Ki Raasleela Ram-Leela in response to an order by the Delhi High Court. The soulful music is composed by Sanjay Leela Bansali and Monty Sharma; the lyrics are penned by Siddharth–Garima.
10. Madras Cafe This is a 2013 Indian political espionage thriller directed by Shoojit Sircar. It stars John Abraham, Nargis Fakhri and Rashi Khanna in lead roles. An Indian Intelligence agent journeys into a war torn coastal island to break a rebel group, only to discover a deeper conspiracy by a faceless enemy united to seize a common nemesis – India. The film is set in the late 1980s and early ’90s, during the time of Indian intervention in the Sri Lankan civil war and assassination of former Indian prime minister Rajiv Gandhi.
11. D-Day This is a spy thriller movies. The movie is directed by Nikhil Advani and stars Arjun Rampal, Rishi Kapoor, Irrfan Khan, Huma Qureshi, Shruti Haasan and Sandeep Kulkarni as the main cast. Nine years ago, a secret agent was sent into Karachi, Pakistan by the Chief of RAW to report the activities of the Most Wanted Man in India… and hence begins a story of espionage. A movie worth watching.
12. Shahid This is a biographical movie directed by Hansal Mehta and produced by Anurag Kashyap. It is based on the life of lawyer and human rights activist, Shahid Azmi, who was assassinated in 2010 in Mumbai. The film stars Rajkummar Rao, Tigmanshu Dhulia, K K Menon, Prabhleen Sandhu and Prabal Panjabi in the leading roles. Watch this movie not for the entertainment value but for the story of a brave and honest human being.
Well, what did I miss? I am sure I overlooked some of of your favorites. We all have our own expectations from the big screen Bollywood releases! Please, do share the ones you recommend!!
Related Bollywood Posts:
- The Best Bollywood Movies of All Times
- 10 Best Movies with NRIs and India Abroad Theme
- 20 Best Bollywood movies of 2000 decade
- Top 20 Bollywood movies of 70s decade
- Top 20 Bollywood Movies of 80’s
- 20 Best Bollywood movies of 90s decade
- Best Bollywood movies of 1960s decade
- 20 Best English Movies from India – The Indian English films
- A Summary of Bollywood Quizzes