Some fun-facts, interesting observations and comic beliefs about Indians living abroad! 🙂
U r desi if:
- Your parents drink 6 cups of tea a day.
- When you are unwell/sick, everyone turns into a doctor advising what to do.
- You have a 40 lb. bag of rice in your pantry.
- Your parents lecture you in English “No English; you should speak in your mother tongue at home!”
- “You want an iPhone? When I was your age, I didn’t even have shoes!!” Parents quip.
- You have to call just about all your parent’s friends ‘Auntie’/’Uncle.’
- You arrive an hours (or two) late to a party and think it’s normal.
- Your dad is either some type of engineer or a doctor or a taxi-driver… or owns a convenience store.
- Your parents blame everything bad on bad Karma from previous lives.
- Everything you eat is savored in garlic, onion and tomatoes
- Your parents talk for an hour at the front door when leaving someone’s house.
- You aren’t fat, you belong to a ‘khata peeta’ (well-fed) family.
- You use grocery bags to hold garbage.
- Your parents bargain, even where prices are fixed.
- Your parents scream at the top of their lungs when calling India/abroad.
- Your mother measures wealth in gold.
- You cannot explain your religion to someone even if you try.
- Your dad becomes a real-estate agent when everything else fails.
- Girl’s parents freak out if she wears a crop-top baring the midriff but wearing a sari is perfectly acceptable.
- The second you pull out of someone’s driveway, your parents start gossiping about them.
- Everyone expects you to be good at math.
- Your parents buy you clothes/shoes two sizes too big so you can “grow into it” and wear for years to come.
- Your parents say, “Calculus? I took calculus in 8th grade!!”
- your parents like to compare you to their friends’ kids.
- You know what’s going to happen in every Hindi movie before it happens.
- your parents insist you marry within your own race.
- You learned about the birds and the bees from someone other than your parents
- Everyone knows about kamasutra but no one talks about it.
- You have rocks, sticks, leaves and strange-smelling substances in your pantry for use as medicine or incense.
You may have some of your own that are not mentioned above…
Other not-so-funny related Articles:
- NRIs and the duplicity of life
- I am not racist, but my brain may be!
- The ABC of Race Relations in USA – India Abroad!
- Why white women find desi or Indian guys less attractive?
- Common overseas myths and misconceptions about people from India
- Overseas perceptions about people from India
- Our Beliefs and the Outside World
- Indian Beliefs or Perceptions of American and European Culture.