The best Bollywood Hindi movies of 2011
The tastes vary, choices differ. When it comes to the Hindi films, some like spicy and action packed thrillers while others prefer sweet and romantic dramas. The films below may not be what you crave, it may not include your ‘all time favorite’, but these are the standout Bollywood features from 2011.
1. Ra.one: This is a very ambitious, very expensive and a very technically complex film from Bollywood. It pushes the envelope on the visual effects. This science-fiction/superhero film is well written and beautifully directed by Anubhav Sinha. The star-studded cast includes Shahrukh Khan in dual roles, Kareena Kapoor, Armaan Verma and Arjun Rampal in the lead. Amazing graphics, along with Shah Rukh Khan as the superhero make this sci-fi thriller a great success. Hollywood delivers so many sci-fi themed movies every; this is a good one from Bollywood.
2. Zindagi Na Milegi Dobara: This flick is a beautiful reminder that you only live once. The film features an ensemble cast of Hrithik Roshan, Abhay Deol, Farhan Akhtar, Katrina Kaif, Kalki Koechlin, Ariadna Cabrol and Naseeruddin Shah. A story of three bachelors dealing with their friendship and romance, the well-scripted film has real-life acting all around. The scenic back-drops are very lively; the refreshing music is composed by Shankar Ehsaan Loy with lyrics from Javed Akhtar.
3. Delhi Belly: In the words of ‘The Hollywood Reporter’, the movie is a “Sexy, filthy and thoroughly entertaining comedy”. The film is shot in English mostly, with very little Hindi dialogues. Directed by Abhinay Deo and produced by Aamir Khan, the movie stars Imran Khan, Kunaal Roy Kapur, Vir Das, Poorna Jagannathan and Shenaz Treasurywala. Rated ‘A’ for adult contents, the film highlights today’s street-smart youth in an evolving society, influenced by the global culture.
4. Bodyguard: Salman Khan and Kareena Kapoor clicked in this blockbuster, with record earnings of Rs.22 crore on the first day . The movie theme is typical romance along with intense action – a winning combination for many Bollywood fans. Directed by Siddique, this star-power film is filled with melodious music, romantic scenes and action-packed fight sequences. As pointed out by the Time of India: ‘Salman’s signature dialogue – “Mujh par ek ehsaan karna ki mujh par koi ehsaan na karna” – once again struck a chord with fans.’
5. No One Killed Jessica: This political thriller is set in New Delhi and is based on the controversial Jessica Lal murder in 2006. The film is inspired the media headlines when the ‘rich and connected’ accused in the infamous murder case were acquitted by a trial court, leading to nationwide protests. The movie stars Rani Mukerji and Vidya Balan and directed by Raj Kumar Gupta, also the director of the acclaimed Aamir. The touching music is from Amit Trivedi, who is famous for the soundtrack for Dev D.
6. Yamla Pagla Deewana: This light-hearted and comedy-drama film is directed by Samir Karnik starring Dharmendra, Sunny Deol, and Bobby Deol in the lead roles. The Deol family is cast together second time after their last hit, Apne. The film’s title is inspired from the song “Main Jat Yamla Pagla Deewana” from the 1975 film, ‘Pratiggya’ starring Dharmendra, of course much younger version of the handsome hero from ‘Sholay’ days.
7. The Dirty Picture: The film is based on the life of Silk Smitha, an actress noted for her erotic roles. The realistic and powerful acting in this Ekta Kapoor’s film is supported by Vidya Balan, Naseeruddin Shah, Tusshar Kapoor and Emraan Hashmi . Vidya Balan’s sensuous looks, skimpy clothing and double meaning dialogues cater to everyone – the critics and the common man.
8. Ready: This is a typical romantic comedy, the masala movies that Bollywood is producing by the dozens, but this blockbuster is a standout, especially for the die-hard Salman Khan fans. With lovely scenes of exotic Thailand in the background, the movie stars Salman Khan and Asin in the lead roles along with Paresh Rawal, Arya Babbar and Mahesh Manjrekar. Light-hearted music and twisted storyline based on mistaken identity makes it an entertaining comedy.
9. Rockstar: If you love Hindi musical films, this one may be literally ‘music to your ears’. The melodious tunes from A. R. Rahman and a sound acting from Ranbir Kapoor are the highlights of the movie. The Time of India praises Kapoor acting: “From a cute and simple college boy to a crazy lover to a successful but cynical singer, the young actor proved his mettle in every frame.” This is the first Bollywood film for American Pakistani model debutant Nargis Fakhri; the film also stars Shammi Kapoor, Aditi Rao Hydari, Moufid Aziz, Piyush Mishra, Shernaz Patel and Kumud Mishra.
10. Singham: One of the highest grossing movies of 2011, the movie caters to those who love high-voltage stunts, slow-motion action cuts and intense dialogues. The film is directed by Rohit Shetty starring Ajay Devgn, Kajal Aggarwal and Prakash Raj in lead roles. The good vs. evil drama highlights the corruption within the police department in India.
11. Mere Brother Ki Dulhan (MBKD): This romantic comedy from Yash Raj Films marks the writing and directing debut of Ali Abbas Zafar and stars Imran Khan, Katrina Kaif and Ali Zafar in the lead. According to Bollywood Hungama , “On the whole, Mere Brother Ki Dulhan is a delectably wholesome, heartening, feel-good entertainer.”
12. Tanu Weds manu: Manoj ‘Manu’ Sharma, an NRI Doctor living in London, comes back to India on family pressure to find a bride to be and get married….and there goes a typical wedding drama. This is a light-hearted entertainer with some humor, romance and nice musical scores. It stars R. Madhavan, Kangana Ranaut and Jimmy Shergill as the main cast.
13. Bbuddah… Hoga Terra Baap: Amitabh Bachchan and Hema Malini may be getting old, but they still deserve to be rounded up in the top picks. If you are a Big B fan, then you should watch it! It is not the best movie out there, but a typical Bollywood masala film with all the ingredients to make it a success. The film stars Amitabh Bachchan, Hema Malini, Sonu Sood, Prakash Raj, Charmy Kaur, Sonal Chauhan and Raveena Tandon.
So, which great ones from 2011 I missed? I am sure you will let me know – one way or another!
Related Bollywood Posts:
- The Best Bollywood Movies of All Times
- 10 Best Movies with NRIs and India Abroad Theme
- 20 Best Bollywood movies of 2000 decade
- Top 20 Bollywood movies of 70s decade
- Top 20 Bollywood Movies of 80’s
- 20 Best Bollywood movies of 90s decade
- Best Bollywood movies of 1960s decade
- 20 Best English Movies from India – The Indian English films
- A Summary of Bollywood Quizzes