Best evergreen ghazals and songs from Jagjit Singh
Selecting the best songs or ghazals sung by Jagjit Singh is like trying to pick the best mango from a tree full of ripe mangoes. Never tried a mango or Jagjit singh? Well, then you are missing out on something special. Just like mango is considered the king of the all fruits, Jagjit Singh is the king of the ghazals.
Okay, enough about the mangoes, or the kings. Here is some of the ultimate ghazals by the… ummm.. king himself. Many of his famous ghazals often show up in the Bollywood movies, and for the right reasons.
1. Yeh daulat bhi le lo (Jazbah): Want to walk down the memory lane of childhood days? This ghzal summarize it well. The wording and melody is simply irreplaceable. “Woh Kaghaz Ki Kashti, Woh Baarish Ka Paani..”
2. Hothon se choo lo tum (Movie: Prem Geet): A beautiful poetic wording throughout… “Tum Haar Ke Dil Apna, Meri Jeet Amar Kardo”. This is a very soothing and very enticing ghazal at the same time, depending on how you take it!
3. Koi ye kaise bataye (Movie: Arth): This is another masterpiece from the king. The philosophical wording and laid-back style of music make this song very unique and haunting.
4. Tum ko dekha to yeh khayal aaya (Movie: Sath Sath): “aaj phir dil ne ek tammanna ki, aaj phir dil ko hamne samzaya,zindagi dhup tum ghana saya.” This is another soulful ghazal that has natural flow, a beautiful imagination and very expressive throughout.
5. Apni Aankhon Ke Samundar Mein Utar Jane De (Beyond Time): “…tera MUJRIM hon mujhe dub ke mar jane de..” This is very well composed and equally well sung ghazal from Beyond Time album. The natural music flow, and soulful wording make this number a timeless masterpiece.
6. Hazaron khwaishen aisi (Mirza Ghalib): Ghalib’s poetry and Jagjit Singh’s voice – a perfect combination. A very colorful and descriptive wording, and equally beautiful voice!
7. Badi Haseen Raat Thi (Unforgettable): This is a very romantic ghazal from Jagjit Singh’s album Unforgettable. Each and every line of this poem is beautifully written. “likha tha jis kitab mei ke ishq to haraam hai; hui wahi kitaab gum,badi haseen raat thi…charagh-o-aftab gum badi haseen raat thi..”
8. Salaam Karta Chalun (Echoes): This ghazal from album Echoes has one of the best rendition by the king of the ghazals. Very natural flow and lovely music accompany this gem.
9. Chithi na koi sandesh, jane vo kaun sa desh (Movie: Dushman) : Jagjit Singh’s voice and touching lyrics carry this lovely song. The wording relates to anyone and everyone who miss their loved ones…”Chitthi na koi sandes jaane woh kaunsa des jahan tum chale gaye…”
10. Jhuki Jhuki Si Nazar (Movie Arth) :Yet another popular and romantic masterpiece from movie Arth. The romantic lyrics are pure and soulful. “wo pal ke jis mein mohabbat jawaan hotee hain, us ik pal kaa tuze intajaar hain ke naheen..”
11. Shaayad Main Zindagi Ki Sehar le ke aa gaya (The Latest): The lovely wording, combined with Jagjit Singh’s charismatic voice, stirs the feelings of love in this beautiful gem. “taa umR DhoonDta raha manzil maiN ishq ki, anjaam Ye ke garde safar le ke aa gaya…”
12. Tum itna jo muskara rahe ho (Movie: Arth): Another lovely composition from movie Arth…
So on and on… We have not even scratched the surface yet! We can go on and on…. Spanning over decades, there are just too many Jagjit Singh songs and ghazals that are engraved in our minds and souls. And, this does not even include his folk songs and tons of songs in Punjabi.
Long live the ghazal king Jagjit Singh!
Related Bollywood Posts:
- The Best Bollywood Movies of All Times
- 10 Best Movies with NRIs and India Abroad Theme
- 20 Best Bollywood movies of 2000 decade
- Top 20 Bollywood movies of 70s decade
- 20 Best Bollywood movies of 90s decade
- Top 20 Bollywood Movies of 80’s
- Best Bollywood movies of 1960s decade
- 20 Best English Movies from India – The Indian English films