The top 20 Bollywood movies of last 10 years
The taste varies; the likes, the dislikes – the opinion varies. However, there are some films we all adore.Here are some of the great Bollywood movies from 2000 to 2009.
1. Lagaan (2001): A refreshing drama, it is a well told story of modern Bollywood days. Set in the Victorian period of the British Empire, the movie is critically acclaimed all around the world. It became the selected few Hindi film to be nominated for the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film. Produced by Aamir Khan, also in the lead role.
2. Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham(2001): Very successful romantic and emotional drama. The cinematography, music and costumes are brilliant. A musical blockbuster, the movie is well received at home and abroad. The star-studded cast includes Amitabh Bachchan, Jaya Bachchan, Shahrukh Khan, Kajol, Hrithik Roshan and Kareena Kapoor.
3. Rang de Basanti(2006): A movie with great acting and direction. Aamir Khan, Soha Ali Khan, Madhavan, Kunal Kapoor, Siddharth Narayan, Sharman Joshi, Atul Kulkarni and British actress Alice Patten is the main cast. A.R. Rahman music adds to the appeal of this light-hearted flick.
4. Devdas (2002): A love story, it is a beautiful remake of old Devdas, based on a famous short novel by the same name. Acting, direction and music are equally admirable. Devdas is one of the most expensive Bollywood films ever produced, with a reported budget of Rs 50 crores. Shahrukh Khan, Madhuri Dixit, and Aishwarya Rai star in the leading roles.
5. Veer Zaara (2004): Directed by Yash Chopra – a refreshing acting combines with good story telling and a tasteful direction. It is set in the background of India and Pakistan conflict; the romantic film tells an unfortunate love story across the borders. . This popular movie stars Shahrukh Khan, Preity Zinta and Rani Mukerji in the leading roles.
6. Singh is Kinng (2008): Another light hearted drama set in Australia for the better part of the story. Akshay Kumar and Katrina Kaif star in the lead role. The movie has nice comic scenes and good dance numbers. It is a Punjabi style comedy, at the cost of a Singh!
7. Slumdog Millionaire (2008): A combination of Hollywood and Bollywood collaboration. A well directed and well told story that captures the attention of local and foreign audience equally. The movie was nominated for ten Academy Awards in 2009 and won eight, the most for any film of 2008.
8. Monsoon Wedding (2001): A Mira Nair movie, rich of Indian culture and traditions. A very realistic story based on the complicated life of NRIs at home and abroad; the Indian wedding extravaganza is at full display with a touch of folk music.
9. Lage Raho Munnabhai (2006): A musical Comedy. It is the second film in the popular Munna Bhai series starring Sanjay Dutt as Munna Bhai, a Mumbai underworld don, who begins to see the spirit of Mahatma Gandhi.
10. Ghajini (2008): This popular award winning movie is an action-thriller, combined with strong elements of romance. The plot of Ghajini is based on the Hollywood film Memento. It stars Aamir Khan, Asin Thottumkal and Jiah Khan in lead roles.
11. Gadar: Ek Prem Katha (2001): Set in 1947, during the Partition of India, the film tells the story of a truck driver, a Sikh, who falls in love with a Muslim girl. A drama based on historical events that touches on human emotions of romance and hate at the same time. Sunny Deol, Amisha Patel, and Amrish Puri star in the lead roles.
12. Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi (2008): Another Yash Raj film. It is a romantic comedy with Shahrukh Khan and Anushka Sharma in the lead. It is a nice combination of good acting and comic scenes.
13. Kabhi Alvida Naa Kehna (2006): Mostly filmed in New York, it is a romantic drama exploring the themes of adultery and extramarital affairs. It depicts some very complicated relationships and complex human nature. The film is beautifully shot. Amitabh Bachchan, Shahrukh Khan, Rani Mukerji, Preity Zinta and Abhishek Bachchan lead the cast.
14. Black (2005): This drama revolves around a blind, deaf and mute girl, and her relationship with her teacher who himself later develops Alzheimer’s disease. The first half of the film is an adaptation of Helen Keller’s autobiography – The Story of My Life. Rani Mukerji and Amitabh Bachchan deliver memorable performance in the lead role.
15. Taare Zameen Par (2007): This award winning drama flick depicts a touching story of an eight year old dyslexic boy. An international version DVD, ‘Like Stars on Earth’, released in January 2010. The Walt Disney Company has bought the home video rights for its distribution in North America, England, and Australia.
16. Kaho Naa Pyaar Hai (2000): A very romantic flick. It is Hrithik Roshan and Amisha Patel’s debut film and made Hrithik into an overnight superstar of Bollywood. The movie features very refreshing music and crowd pleasing dance sequences.
17. Om Shanti Om (2007): It is somewhat different movie, in a nice way – a musical darama, combined with a parody on Bollywood. This star-studded flick has more than 40 famous Bollywood stars appearing in the film, for no particular reason in many cases. The fans of serious storyline should look elsewhere.
18. Love Aaj Kal(2009): A very well directed drama revolving around the complicated emotions of love – today and yesterday. Saif Ali Khan and Deepika Padukone lead the cast along with Rahul Khanna and Rishi Kapoor in supporting roles. The music has a touch of folk and is very refreshing; the dance sequences are great.
19. Koi… Mil Gaya (2003): A Bollywood science fiction about aliens. The lead actors include Hrithik Roshan, Rekha and Preity Zinta. The movie has won many awards and is popular among kids and grown-ups alike.
20. Doom and Doom 2: For the fans of Bollywood style action, motorbike racing and commuter games, these two actions movies may be worth the time. Great cast and captivating action sequences are the main appeal here.
Share your thoughts on any other movies that you consider among the top 20 from last 10 years.
- The Best Bollywood Movies of All Times
- 10 Best Movies with NRIs and India Abroad Theme
- 20 Best Bollywood movies of 90s decade
- Top 20 Bollywood Movies of 80s decade
- Top 20 Bollywood movies of 70s decade
- Best Bollywood movies of 1960s decade
- Bollywood Quiz