20 Best Bollywood movies from 1990 to 1999
Here we go again. Many may disagree, others may consider their own list much better – we all do. But, here is a list of movies that made a splash in the 90s. The brief description includes main/lead cast, year of release and general genre of each movie. The 90s decade brought us some of the very memorable flicks, here are 20 of them:
1. Ghayal (1990): Directed by Rajkumar Santoshi, this popular thriller starts Sunny Deol and Meenakshi Seshadri in the lead role. It was one of the blockbuster of the year and also won the Filmfare ‘Best movie’ award.
2. Dil (1990): This is a lovable romantic comedy; it has some of the best music of its time. Aamir Khan, Madhuri Dixit, Anupam Kher and Saeed Jaffrey lead the cast and a very superior acting all around.
3. Diksha (1991) Meaning ‘initiation, the Hindi film is based on a novel by famous Kannada writer U. R. Ananthamurthy. The film depicts a complicated story of a Guru and his widowed daughter it is infused with Indian culture and local traditions. A well told story of human emotions and willpower.
4. Lamhe (1991): This is a classic Yash Chopra film. It stars Anil Kapoor, Sridevi, Waheeda Rehman and Anupam Kher in the main cast. The film is critically acclaimed, and has exceptionally good music. This romantic drama received the well deserved ‘Best Movie’ Filmfare award.
5. Beta (1992): The film featured the popular pair of its time – Madhuri Dixit and Anil Kapoor. This is a very entertaining movie with some very good music numbers, including popular song “Dhak Dhak Karne Laga”.
6. Jo Jeeta Wohi Sikandar (1992): This is Mansoor Khan directed movie; he is more famous for another hit ‘Qayamat Se Qayamat Tak’. Aamir Khan and Pooja Bedi star in this romantic drama. It was a blockbuster flick of its time and a winner of ‘Best movie’ Filmfare award..
7. Hum Hain Rahi Pyaar Ke (1993) Directed by Mahesh Bhatt, the movies has a wonderful musical score by Nadeem-Shravan. Aamir Khan, Juhi Chawla pair well in the lead role. This romantic film has some of the best acting from Juhi Chawla and was very popular among critics and laymen alike.
8. 1942: A Love Story (1994): This super-hit film stars Anil Kapoor, Manisha Koirala, Jackie Shroff, Anupam Kher, Danny Denzongpa, and Pran. It was a musical hit with many of the songs popular to date. It is highly acclaimed for its music, songs, cinematography and lyrics.
9. Andaz Apna Apna (1994): This comedy is directed by Rajkumar Santoshi, and stars Aamir Khan, Salman Khan, Raveena Tandon and Karisma Kapoor in the lead. Those who prefer light hearted Hindi comedy, this Filfare nominee is a good choice for a few laughs.
10. Hum Aapke Hain Kaun? (1994) directed by Sooraj Barjatya, this is one of the most successful Bollywood films of all times. It has some of the most extravagant North Indian wedding scenes. Its soundtrack, in total 14 songs, is scored by Raam Lakshman and has some of the most refreshing music of 90s. It stars Salman Khan and Madhuri Dixit in the lead role.
11. Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge (1995): This blockbuster movie is one of the biggest Bollywood hit of all time. Staring Shahrukh Khan, Kajol, and Amrish Puri in the lead role, this extremely popular film is also critically acclaimed, winning 10 Filmfare awards in a variety of categories.
12. Rangeela (1995): This popular movie is A.R Rahman’s first Hindi movie and has very heartwarming music score. Aamir Khan, Urmila Matondkar and Jackie Shroff star in this romantic and light-hearted film.
13. Khamoshi (1996): This musical drama features is a story of a deaf and mute couple. Salman Khan, Manisha Koirala and Nana Patekar lead the cast. The movie is critically acclaimed for acting and the overall plot, though it was not a box office success.
14. Raja Hindustani (1996): This is a mega hit flick – a romantic tale of taxi driver from a small town who falls in love with a rich girl; a typical Bollywood plot. Aamir Khan and Karisma Kapoor star in the lead roles; it has won many awards for good acting and great music.
15. Border (1997): This is blockbuster war epic based on the Indo-Pakistani War of 1971. J. P. Dutta directed and produced this war film, and the well synchronized star cast includes Sunny Deol, Jackie Shroff, Sunil Shetty, Akshay Khanna, Pooja Bhatt, Sharbani Mukherjee and Tabu.
16. Dil To Pagal Hai (1997) Another hit from Yash Chopra, no surprise. Shahrukh Khan, Karisma Kapoor and Madhuri Dixit deliver some of brilliant acting in this romantic flick. The film has won dozens of different awards including Filmfare winner of Best Film, Best Actor- Shah Rukh Khan and Best Actress – Madhuri Dixit.
17. Virasat (1997) Starring Anil Kapoor, Tabu and Amrish Puri in the lead, the movie is a beautiful depiction of Indian rural culture and village life. The film is always praised by the critics for good acting and cinematography.
18. Kuch Kuch Hota Hai (1998): This is a better known romantic comedy of 90s.The movie stars the popular on-screen pair of Shahrukh Khan and Kajol. It has some the most memorable music of the decade. The film was very successful both in India and abroad, winning major Filmfare awards in all categories.
19. Satya (1998): This is a very interesting crime film directed by Ram Gopal Varma. The movie stars J. D. Chakravarthy, Manoj Bajpai, Urmila Matondkarand Shefali Shah. It unfolds a story of an immigrant in Mumbai seeking his fortune, but instead gets sucked into the underworld crime.
20. Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam (1999): A plot based on a love triangle between Salmaan Khan, Ajay Devgan and Aishwarya Rai. This romantic drama has some of the best acting from Aishwarya Rai, and has won many Filmfare and IIFA awards.
Share your comments on any other movies that you consider among the top 20 from 90s.
For more recent movies, you may be interested in related posts below.
- The Best Bollywood Movies of All Times
- 20 Best Bollywood movies of last 10 years
- Top 20 Bollywood Movies of 80s decade
- Top 20 Bollywood movies of 70s decade
- 10 Best Movies with NRIs and India Abroad Theme
- Bollywood Quiz 5 – The Idiots and a Dog
- Bollywood Quiz